Jazz, up close and personal
The Terry Sullivan Trio, featuring vocalist Terry Sullivan, Riverside resident and pianist Bobby Schiff and bassist Stewart Miller, will perform a special, close-up concert of mainstream jazz on Sunday, Nov. 24 at 3 p.m. at Sts. Peter and Paul Lutheran Church, 250 Woodside Road, Riverside.
The concert will also feature special guest Art Davis, one of Chicago's most celebrated jazz trumpeters, who has performed with legends including Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra and Rosemary Clooney.
Admission is $25 per person ($20 for seniors). Cash only at the door. More info at 708-488-1701.
Santa's mailbox opens Nov. 25
Riverside Parks and Rec once again invites children to drop off letters to Santa Claus at a special mailbox that will be placed on the east side of the historic water tower, 10 Pine Ave., beginning at noon on Monday, Nov. 25.
Letters received between then and Dec. 20 will get a response from Santa, but Santa will keep the mailbox open and accept letters all the way until Christmas.
And even though Santa probably already knows it, be sure to include a return address just in case.
A classic radio Thanksgiving
Relive the Golden Age of Radio during the Riverside Township Radio Players' re-creations of two classic shows, including "The Carnival" from Richard Diamond, Private Detective and the seasonally themed "Gracie's Turkey Swallows her Wedding Ring" from the George Burns & Gracie Allen Show.
The performance will take place on Friday, Nov. 22 in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road at 7:30 p.m. Admission is free. For more info, see riversideradioplayers.com.
New exhibit at Compassion Factory
Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, presents "Symmetry," a new exhibit of work featuring artists Bala Thiagarajan and Rita Sharha from Nov. 21 through Dec. 21.
Thiagarajan uses piping bags squeeze bottles to form dots and lines with acrylic paints on canvas that are henna-inspired, along with mandalas and animal abstracts. Sharha designs and creates fused-glass art that is both decorative and functional.
An opening reception will be held Friday, Dec. 6 from 7 to 10 p.m. Gallery hours are Thursdays from 4 to 9 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Mater Christi Turkey Shoot
The Mater Christi Holy Name Society will host its annual Turkey Shoot on Sunday, Nov. 24 from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Menarik Hall of Mater Christi School, 2400 10th Ave. in North Riverside.
Turkeys will be raffled off every five minutes. Ham, prasky, kolacky and other items are available to win. Split the pot and pull tabs with cash prizes will be available.
Hot dogs, chips, pumpkin pie, ice cream, beer, wine, soda and coffee will be available for purchase. TVs will be tuned to NFL action. There will also be a Fun Fair for kids. Call 708-442-5611 for more info.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents "Souths & Norths" in the Freeark Gallery, featuring the work of Mauricio Forero, through Nov. 23. The FlexSpace Gallery presents the work of Andy Young in "Ominous Thinkly Devices" through Dec. 19. See the work of Jaclyn Jacunski in "Dream Additions" in the outdoor sculpture garden through the end of November. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Free and open to the public.
- Join the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce on Nov. 21 at 4:30 p.m. at Joe's Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield, for their final 60-to-Win prize drawing, the organization's biggest annual fundraiser. Each week the chamber gives away $1,000 – one $500 winner and five $100 winners. Tickets are sold out but join in the fun.
- Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., presents "Song of Avatar": One Author's Journey in Self-Publishing featuring local graphic novel author Gary Whitney on Nov. 21 at 7 p.m. and a screening of the Elton John biopic "Rocketman" on Nov. 23 at 1 p.m. Register online at brookfieldlibrary.info, at 708-485-6917 or in person at the library.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites kids in grades three and up to a Nailed It! Challenge on Nov. 25 at 2 p.m. Challenge your master decorator skills. Registration required at 708-442-6366 or by emailing email@example.com.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on Nov. 22 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday.
For adults and seniors there's Writers Group: NaNoWriMo meetup on Nov. 21 at 6 p.m.; Spanish Language Book Club for Spanish speakers of all levels on Nov. 22 at 10:30 a.m.; and Meditation and Stretching (ages 15+) on Nov. 25 at 6:30 p.m. To sign up for senior and adult events, call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
For kids there's Lapsit Storytime (toddlers through age 5) on Nov. 21 at 10:30 a.m.; Makers Make-Fest Saturdays (Makers Club members guest) on Nov. 23 from 1 to 5 p.m.; Letter Wraps (grades 6-12) on Nov. 23 at 1 p.m.; Drop-in Open Play (tots and kids) on Nov. 26 at 10:30 a.m.; and Make Some Music (grades 5-12), learn how to play instruments on Nov. 26 at 6 p.m.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.