Riverside History Museum turns 50
Celebrate the 50th birthday of the Riverside Historical Museum at a special event on Sunday, June 2 at 2 p.m. outside the museum in the shadow of the historic water tower in Centennial Park, Longcommon Road and Forest Avenue in downtown Riverside.
Festivities begin with the official unveiling of a new sign, designed by architect and former historical commissioner Serge Ambrose, outside the museum. Afterward there will be a reception inside the Riverside train station, 90 Bloomingbank Road, which houses the "Picturing Riverside" exhibit created by the Riverside Historical Commission in collaboration with students from IIT under the direction of Michaelangelo Sabatino.
Group show at Compassion Factory
Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, presents the new group exhibition "Expression" featuring the work of artists John Yaou, Kelly Ward, Noah Larsen and Francesca Vitale and Ashley McLaughlin from May 30 through June 29.
Work runs the gamut from merging traditional and street art to digital, watercolor and marker illustrations to oil paintings on street signs and graphic design.
An opening reception will be held June 7 from 7 to 10 p.m. Gallery hours are Thursday 4 to 9 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and first Fridays from 7 to 10 p.m.
Brookfield Reads! finale
Brookfield Public Library caps off its Brookfield Reads! initiative with an author event finale on Sunday, June 2 at 3 p.m. in the Discovery Center of Brookfield Zoo, 3300 Golf Road in Brookfield.
Natalie Y. Moore, author of "The South Side: Portrait of Chicago and American Segregation," will discuss and answer questions about her book, which focuses on problems of social inequity that continue to plague the city's South Side. A book signing will follow.
The event is free and open to the public, but advance registration is required for entry to the zoo. Register online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info or by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 130.
Get your pet vaccinated
Brookfield Parks and Rec invites pet owners to Kiwanis Park, Arden and Brookfield avenues, on Tuesday, June 4 from 10 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. to get a rabies vaccine for their cats, dogs and ferrets (3 months+) and to have pets microchipped.
Personnel from Cook County Animal Control are hosting the event. Payment by check or cash only. Rabies vaccines for dogs and cats are $7 for one-year and $21 for three-year. Vaccines for ferrets $9.
Call 708-974-6140 for more info.
North Riverside Flea Market
North Riverside Parks and Rec invites you to clean out your closets and garage and bring all of your treasures to sell at the North Riverside Flea Market on Sunday, June 2 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Village Commons and police department parking lots, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., continues its Wednesday Movie Matinee series on June 5 at 2 p.m. with a screening of the 1999 romantic comedy "Notting Hill," starring Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant. Free.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will its next Landscape Workday on Saturday, June 1 from 9 a.m. to noon at Big Ball Park at Longcommon and Delaplaine road. Volunteers will be mulching planted areas. Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents "Sound Textures for Intimacies of Space" featuring work by Monica Rezman and Beth Bradfish in the Freeark Gallery thru June 15; "Passing hours, space in between: I am breathing you air," an installation by artist Yoonshin Park in the FlexSpace Gallery thru June 11, and "stay out come in stay in come out," featuring the work of Jordan Martins in the outdoor sculpture gallery thru Aug. 3. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Free and open to the public.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on May 31 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday.
Adult Services hosts Spanish Language Book Club/Club de Lectura en Espanol for Spanish speakers of all levels on May 31 at 10:30 a.m.; Café y Conversacion/Conversation Café on June 1 at 10:30 a.m.; and Crafternoons: No Sew T-shirt Tote on June 1 at 1:30 p.m. To register for adult programs call 708-447-0869.
For kids, there's Lapsit Storytime/Open Play (toddlers thru 5) on May 30 at 10:30 a.m. and Drop-in Open Play (all welcome) on June 4 and June 6 at 10:30 a.m.
- Aging Care Connections hosts a free Memory Café program through September on the second Friday of each month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Young at Heart Adult Day Services Center, 6504 Joliet Road in Countryside and the third Tuesday of each month at Salerno's Pizzeria & Sports Bar, 9301 W. 63rd St. in Hodgkins. Call 708-354-1323 for more information.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.
If you would like your event to be featured here, please send a photo and details by noon of the Wednesday before it needs to be published. We can't publish everything, but we'll do our best to feature the week's highlights. Email email@example.com.