NR Players stage 'Beauty and the Beast'
North Riverside Players present their spring musical "Beauty and the Beast" on May 9-11 in the gymnasium of the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Follow the exploits of Belle, a young woman yearning for more than her provincial life, and Beast, a young prince trapped under an enchantress' spell.
Show times are May 9 and 10 at 7:30 p.m. and May 11 at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 for adults, $18 for senior citizens, $16 for students and $15 for children under 12 and can be obtained online at NRPlayers.com or by calling 708-512-7015.
Lions host renowned comic book artist
Award-winning comic book illustrator Phil Hester will be the guest speaker at the Riverside Township Lions Club meeting on Tuesday, May 14 at 6 p.m. at Caledonia Senior Living, 2800 Desplaines Ave. in North Riverside.
Hester, who draws for DC Comics and Marvel Comics, will describe his journey from near blindness to full restoration of his sight thanks to the Iowa Lions Eye Bank. Hester received donor tissue for his damaged corneas in 2016.
Following successful surgery, he has resumed his career drawing superheroes such as Superman, Batman, the Green Hornet and others. Tickets, which include dinner, are $20. Call Gerry Stutz at 630-426-4693.
Spaghetti dinner and raffle
Boy Scout Troop 111 hosts its Spaghetti Dinner and Raffle on Saturday, May 11 from 4 to 7:30 p.m. in the Colonnade Room at St. Louise de Marillac Parish, 1112 Raymond Ave. in LaGrange Park.
Tickets ($8 per person/$6 seniors and kids 6-11/$25 for family of four) include homemade meatballs and sauce, ice cream sundae bar and raffle. Take out available.
Art of Alfred Hitchcock
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents "The Art of Alfred Hitchcock" on Thursday, May 9 at 2 p.m.
Bob Burton presents an original video of Hitchcock's own comments and clips from the famed director's finest films. Free. To sign up, call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
'Ocean's 8' in North Riverside
North Riverside Parks and Rec continues its free Popcorn and a Movie series on Friday, May 10 at 1 p.m. with a screening of "Ocean's 8," starring Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway in the council chamber of the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
After getting released from prison, Debbie – the sister of legendary con man Danny Ocean – puts together a team of criminal masterminds for the heist of the century.
Admission is free, but registration is required. Call 708-442-5515.
LTHS dance company show
The Lyons Township High School Eurythmics dance company will perform "Ignite," its spring dance concert, May 9, 10, and 11 in the North Campus Reber Center, 100 S. Brainard Ave., LaGrange.
Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the show begins promptly at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door; no discounts or activity passes are applicable. Tickets are available by contacting the athletic office at 708-579-6393.
• Lyons Township High School hosts Media Arts Night of Entertainment (MANE), its annual student film festival, on May 14 at 6 p.m. in the North Campus Reber Center, 100 S. Brainard Ave. in LaGrange. Admission is free. All are welcome.
• Brookfield-Riverside Rotary Club invites community members to attend its membership event on May 8 at 6 p.m. in the party room at Sebastian's Ale & Whiskey House, 8900 Fairview Ave. in Brookfield. Learn about and get involved with the local chapter of this international service club. Free appetizers. Contact club president Chuck Ezell at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
• Hitzeman Funeral Home, 9445 31st St. in Brookfield, will host the next of its monthly grief support gatherings on May 14 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. The theme of the gathering will be managing grief. Seats are limited. RSVP by May 10 to email@example.com or call 708-485-2000.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents "Sound Textures for Intimacies of Space" featuring work by Monica Rezman and Beth Bradfish in the Freeark Gallery thru June 15; "Passing hours, space in between: I am breathing you air," an installation by artist Yoonshin Park in the FlexSpace Gallery thru June 11; and "stay out come in stay in come out," featuring the work of Jordan Martins in the outdoor sculpture gallery thru Aug. 3. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• Lyons Township High school paraprofessional Mary Ann Rivera is collecting school supplies for those impacted by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico throughout the month of May. Supplies (crayons, markers, pens, pencils, glue sticks, notebooks, folders, scissors, erasers and index cards) can be dropped off at the main office of either campus. Monetary donations are welcome at paypal.me/Maryann26. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
νBrookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts Device Tech Help of smartphones and tablets on May 8 at 1:30 p.m. When registering include the name of the device you're bringing. On May 13 at 7 p.m., historian Sarah Okner, a descendant of Japanese internees during World War II, presents Life in a Japanese Internment Camp, featuring photos and details of family life. Call 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info to register for programs.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts Brush Calligraphy with artist Audrey Ko on May 11 at 1 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room. Beginners welcome. Registration required at www.riversidelibray.org.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on May 10 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday.
Senior Services hosts Bingocize (exercise lightly while playing bingo and winning prizes) on May 15 at 2 p.m. and a screening of Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece "Vertigo" starring James Stewart and Kim Novak on May 8 at 2 p.m. Drop-in only.
Adult Services hosts How to Sell on eBay on May 15 at 6 p.m. To register for senior and adult programs call 708-447-0869.
For kids, there's Lapsit Storytime (toddlers thru 5) on May 9 at 10:30 a.m.; STEM-tastic Fun (grades K+) on May 9 at 3:45 p.m.; Family Yoga with Bee (ages 3 with adult) on May 10 at 10:15 a.m.; Bingo/Loteria (ages 3 ) on May 10 at 4:30 p.m.; Messy Mornings for Munchkins/Open Play (ages 2-5) on May 14 at 10:30 a.m.; Bilingual Storytime (ages 2-5) on May 15 at 10:30 a.m.; and Wii Play Games and Watch Movies (grades 6-12) on May 11 from 1 to 3 p.m.
• Aging Care Connections hosts a free Memory Café program through September on the second Friday of each month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Young at Heart Adult Day Services Center, 6504 Joliet Road in Countryside and the third Tuesday of each month at Salerno's Pizzeria & Sports Bar, 9301 W. 63rd St. in Hodgkins. Call 708-354-1323 for more information.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.