Rev. John C. Hergenrother, 79, pastor emeritus of St. Louise de Marillac Parish in LaGrange Park, died on July 8, 2019.
Born on March 28, 1940, in Chicago, he attended St. Laurence Catholic School, Quigley Preparatory Seminary in Chicago and St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary in Mundelein. Ordained on April 26, 1966, by Archbishop John P. Cody, he celebrated his first solemn Mass at St. Philip Neri Parish in Chicago on May 8 of the same year.
His pastoral service included parish, archdiocesan and national administrative roles. He assisted the archbishop of Chicago as chancellor and as a judge of the Metropolitan Tribunal.
He also served as associate pastor at Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish on Spaulding Ave., St. Ferdinand Parish on Barry Ave. and St. Monica Parish on Foster Ave., all in Chicago.
Father Hergenrother became pastor of St. Louise de Marillac Parish in 1985 and was named pastor emeritus in 2010.
Cardinal Blase J. Cupich was the main celebrant of a funeral Mass on July 13 at St. Louise de Marillac Church. Rev. Stephen Kanonik was the homilist.
Interment was at Mount Olivet Catholic Cemetery.