By Bob Uphues
UPDATED: Friday, Sept. 11, 2020 at 3:28 p.m.
The cause of a Sept. 6 fire that damaged the home at 2931 Vernon Ave. in Brookfield remains under investigation, but the homeowners have told the Landmark that its origin was not a fire pit that had been located on the rear deck.
After talking to a fire inspector this week, the homeowner said, "We know 100 percent that it didn't start in the middle of the deck, which is where the pit was at."
The family reached out to the Landmark, expressing concern over misconceptions about how the fire may have started.
"We want to make sure the wrong impression doesn't get out there, when we know what didn't happen," the homeowner said.
Brookfield firefighters responded to two fires over the holiday weekend, and while no one was hurt in either incident, flames and smoke did serious damage to at least one of the homes involved.
Firefighters responded to the first and more serious of the two fires at about 1:25 a.m. on Sept. 6 at 2931 Vernon Ave. Six people, including three children under the age of 10, were able to evacuate the home unharmed after the rear wood deck caught fire.
The cause of the fire does not appear to have been suspicious, but it remains under investigation. The family reportedly was using a propane fire pit on the deck that night, but someone assured emergency responders that the fire pit had been shut down properly before they went inside.
The flames spread from the deck to the rear wall of the home, according to a police report about the incident, and then spread to north side of the residence to the south. Police evacuated that home as well.
According to the police report, burning embers appear to have damaged the roof of a third home, though that damage does not appear to have been serious.
'Sparks' before Maple Ave. fire
Faulty wiring appears to have been the cause of a fire late on Sept. 7 at 3141 Maple Ave. in Brookfield.
According to the police report from the incident, residents of the home said they saw "sparks" coming from a vent in the master bathroom as well as sparks coming from the switch that operated the vent. They also reported that the lights flickered before smelling smoke and evacuating the home safely.
When emergency personnel arrived, they reported smoke coming from the roof vents of the home. The attic of the home was filled with smoke and firefighters reported a fire below the insulation of the attic.
While the house was not declared uninhabitable, the family did relocate for the time being, said police, since the smoke in the house had been so heavy and the smell excessive.